Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Benefit of a Diagnosis

This is my son, Caibry, two years ago after being diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder. That diagnoses was the answer we needed.



We could see the struggles he was facing. They were obvious, but we had no concept of how to ease his frustration or meet his needs. Melt downs were on going and became more and more dangerous as he fought to make sense of a world he couldn't feel like you and me.



He began trying to pull off body parts. At one point he caused blood to drip down the side of his head from trying to tear off his ears. They were sticking out and bugging him. It was if he was immune to the pain he was inflicting on himself and on our family as a whole as we helplessly watched him self destruct.



Doctors were no help. They said I didn't discipline right or show him enough love. Whatever the case was they made it clear that it was something I was doing wrong as a parent.



I couldn't loose my son though. With comments like "I wish I was dead" flying out of his mouth I believed I was in a fierce battle for the life and sanity of my child.



His environment was too much for him. He refused to eat certain foods, hated tags in clothing and the seams of his socks. The playground was torture for his easily overwhelmed senses. Noises distracted him and his temper would flare.



Two years ago I was a desperate Mommy with no clear answers and very little hope.



I fought hard for testing of his ears, his educational screening, and anything else that would force a medical professional to see what I saw. Eventually, someone did.



His diagnoses was our first step in the right direction.



Within months of starting Occupational therapy we were already seeing great progress and unlocking the personality of our son that was hiding behind anger and frustration.



Caibry isn't in therapy anymore. Unless you force him to eat something too chewy for his taste or upset his environment in some drastic way he has every appearance of a typical child.



At this blog I'm going to share some of our experiences past and present. I'll share ideas for coping and teaching, list books that are helpful, and post great S.P.D related links.



If you are a member of The Homeschool Lounge I am now moderating a group there by the same name ( You, Me and S.P.D). If you are a homeschool mom with a child who has Sensory Processing Disorder please swing by and join our group for extra fun and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment